It’s not just about the garage anymore. We’re busy people, and we need to get things done. Our garages are now our spaces for organizing everything from tools to sports equipment, so here are some tips and tricks for making your space work for you:
Use a pegboard
A pegboard is the perfect way to organize small items, tools and supplies. You can use it to hang everything from screwdrivers to paint cans, making your garage feel more like a workshop than an unused storage space. Some people even use pegboards in their garages as an alternative to shelves or cabinets.
If you want to know how to organize your garage with pegboards, here are some tips:
- Use hooks instead of nails when hanging up items that are not heavy duty enough for the weight they will be supporting
- Place heavier items on closer tabs than lighter ones so that they don’t pull down on each other
One of the best ways to organize your garage is with hooks. Hooks are easy to install and can be used for a number of different things.
Hooks are great for hanging rakes and shovels, brooms, ladders and even bikes. They’re a simple way to store long tools like rakes or shovels without taking up much room in your garage. You can also install hooks on the wall or ceiling if you need extra storage space above your head.
Hang long tools on the wall
When you have a lot of long tools, it can be tough to find a place to put them. You could use a magnetic strip on your wall or pegboard, but for even more organization (and safety), consider installing hooks that are high enough so that cars can pass beneath them.
Put up a can organizer
The best way to store cans is in one of these handy organizers. They can be used for all kinds of cans, including paint and drywall screws. But if you really want to get fancy, use them for nails or other tools too!
Repurpose a ladder as storage for long tools
- You can use a ladder as storage for long tools. If you have a small garage, there’s no need to buy extra storage hardware when you can repurpose an existing piece of furniture. A ladder is a great option because it has flat surfaces at each level and can be easily accessed from the ground or from steps inside your home.
- Use ladders for tools that are not used often. Short-handled shovels, rakes, and hoes are perfect for storing on ladders in your garage since they don’t take up much space and you won’t have trouble reaching them when you need them—plus they’re easy to grab when there’s snow outside!
Create a garden tool rack from a rain gutter
If you have a yard, then it’s likely that you have a bunch of gardening tools to hang up and store. This is an easy way to make use of your rain gutters while adding storage space.
- A piece of rope (about 10 feet)
- A hammer with a nail-set (or any kind of nail set)
- Various hand tools that can fit inside the rain gutter (e.g., hoe, rake, trowel)
- A ladder
- A pair of gloves
Put up a magnetic knife strip for the metal tools
A magnetic knife strip is the perfect way to keep your metal tools organized and accessible. The strip can be mounted to a wall or placed on a shelf, and it’s great for keeping knives in one place. Cleaning is easy because all you have to do is wipe down the hair-dryer sheet-lined surface.
Your knives will be safe from damage, and you’ll have easy access to them whenever you need them.
Store extension cords on PVC pipes
When you’re storing extensions cords, a good way to get them out of the way is by using PVC pipes. You can also use other types of piping but PVC is usually pretty easy to find and fairly cheap. You could even store your extension cords in plastic bins but if you have some extra time and want something that looks nicer, this is a great option.
You don’t have to stop there though—you can use these same techniques for other things too! If you have any long items like ropes or chains laying around your garage, they’ll be easy to hide when placed inside one of these pipes too!
Use mason jars to store hardware
- Mason jars are cheap and easy to store
- Mason jars are airtight, so they’re good for storing small items
- You can use them to hold spices in your kitchen cabinet (or even leftovers!)
They’re also great for storing crafts and other small items,
They come in a wide variety of sizes and shapes, so you can store anything from jewelry to food
You can design your garage like you would any other room in your home.
Your garage should be as nice and tidy as any other room in your home. You can use the same decorating techniques you would use in any other room in your home, including paint, wallpaper, wall art and rugs. If you have an old car that’s taking up space, sell it or give it away to charity.
If you don’t want to hire professionals to help organize the garage, here are some tips:
- Assemble all the tools and supplies needed for each project before starting work—this will save time later on when looking for things that aren’t where they’re supposed to be
- Buy plastic bins with lids so everything has its own place; label each bin according to what’s inside
- Keep like items together (for example: tools together)
Keep things off the floor (cans, jars and bottles) so you can use the space below for storage Organize tools by type and size, then store them in an easy-to-reach location
You don’t need to spend a lot of money on garage organization. A little creativity, some planning and a few simple tools will go a long way toward making your garage more efficient and safe. In fact, you can even make some useful items from other items that might otherwise be thrown away!