What to Wear on a First Date: Guys – For one thing, it is generally assumed that the guy will offer to pick up the tab as part of being a gentleman. That usually means that you don’t need to dress too fancy in order to be ready for your first date. This is good because if you’ve been with a girl for a little while, then you already know how much messing with your clothes can stress her out. You’re going to want to look nice, but you don’t need to go overboard unless she makes it absolutely clear that she wants someplace fancy.
For a dinner date, wear a collared shirt.
There are many things to keep in mind when going on a first date, but one of the most important involves what you will wear. Whether a dinner date or an activity-based affair, it is important to look your best so that she knows you are trying to impress her. One of the best ways to do this is by wearing a collared shirt. A white collared shirt with or without a tie will always go over well, but if you don’t feel comfortable with wearing one, opt for another color. Just be sure not to button up all the way if you aren’t going for a tie—no one likes feeling like they are at work! If you are unsure whether or not you should wear a tie with your outfit, leave it at home and opt for just the collar; better safe than sorry!
You can dress up jeans.
The fact that the jeans are casual does not mean you have to be. A collared button-down shirt and a sport coat or blazer will make this look formal, but keep it sharp. The key is keeping everything clean, proper and in its place. Make sure your shirt is tucked into your pants and flat against your stomach. The jacket should be unbuttoned while sitting, but buttoned up when standing to maintain a smooth line and add a little structure to the outfit. Your shoes should be on point — like oxfords or other dress shoes, not sneakers or sandals (unless you’re going to the beach).
This outfit works best when you want to go out for dinner, drinks at a bar or even a date at an upscale bowling alley — which might actually help break the ice because it’s something fun to do together instead of just sitting around staring at each other across a table. And remember: Keep those jeans clean!
Wear a dark wash denim.
Denim is the most versatile and least fussy of pants. It’s also the most accepted in a wide range of environments, even on a first date. There are three main rules to keep in mind when wearing denim:
- Choose jeans that fit well. This may seem obvious, but it’s worth noting since not all fits are created equal. The more important fit factors: rise, leg opening and seat. All three should be proportionate to your anatomy—and one another—otherwise they’ll look off. “The rise needs to be low enough to feel comfortable, but high enough to hit at the right point on your waist so there’s no spillover over your waistband,” says Andy Salas, senior menswear editor for Bloomingdale’s online store. “Also, make sure you have enough room in the seat so there isn’t any pulling or gaping when you sit down.”
- Go dark rinse or black jeans if you want something dressier; light-rinse if you want something casual. Avoid medium-rinse or stonewashed denim for anything fancy or fashion forward; it has a very ’80s feel that doesn’t work well with forward-thinking outfits.”
Wear polished shoes.
Your shoes can be a great way to express your personality. But, as with any piece of clothing, they need to be clean and well maintained. Avoid making the common mistake of wearing scuffed shoes on a date. You might think it’s no big deal, but your date will notice and it could make you seem sloppy or careless. In other words, you might look like you don’t care about the details—and when it comes to dating, those matter!
A good rule of thumb is that if you haven’t worn the pair in six months or longer then they probably aren’t workable (or “date-able”) anymore. If they’re still in pretty good shape and just need a little bit of TLC then by all means give them some love so they can get back into rotation! Remember: nothing says I’m not worth any effort like scuffed shoes do…don’t let this happen because once again first impressions are everything!
Pay attention to your hair and skincare.
Your hair and skin are the first things people notice, so it’s crucial that you pay attention to them. You should get a haircut before your date, as well as keep your nails clean, since it shows that you take care of yourself. Face masks can be used a few days before the date to help clear up breakouts and keep your skin bright. Exfoliating will also help keep your skin looking healthy and glowing. Moisturize daily, too, to prevent dryness (especially during wintertime). Don’t forget about your smile—keep those teeth clean! And don’t forget to use mouthwash or chew on a minty piece of gum/mints pre-date if you’re worried about bad breath.
As a rule, no one wants to be around someone who smells bad. Sounds obvious, right? Yet it’s a common mistake that many make on first dates. For example, the other day I met my friend for coffee and he had obviously had some kind of issue with his body odor recently—it was definitely noticeable. I was too polite to say anything but it made me feel uncomfortable right off the bat.
You don’t have to wear cologne or aftershave if you’re not used to it, just make sure that you’ve showered and that you don’t smell like anything bad (BO, alcohol, cigarette smoke etc).
If you do want to wear cologne or aftershave then keep it light so that your date doesn’t end up gasping for air next to you. Remember: less is more when it comes to these things!
What to wear on a first date for teenage guys
You want to look great on a first date, but it’s not the time to try out a new look or wear something uncomfortable. Your best bet is to wear clothes that are appropriate for the activity you’re doing, make sure they fit well, and stay true to your personal style.
Appropriate clothes will depend on where you are going on your date. If your date invites you out to coffee or dessert, dress casually unless they invite you somewhere more formal like a classy restaurant or a movie premiere. You can go with something moderately casual if your date is taking you rock climbing or playing laser tag (this isn’t likely in years before ), but most likely it’s just the two of you hanging out somewhere so dress accordingly.
If this isn’t your first time hanging out with this person, think about what has made you feel good when seeing them in the past. It could be an outfit that makes you feel confident, clothes that match their personal style, or something else entirely! Focus on how whatever outfit makes you feel comfortable and confident and use that as inspiration for what to wear when meeting up with them again.
Dress nice without needing to be too flashy because dates aren’t about showing off how rich or cool someone is—they’re meant as opportunities for people who enjoy each other’s company get together and have fun!
What to wear on a first date for a man
It’s a well-known fact that the biggest mistake men make when looking for a first date is trying to be too dressed up. This causes what’s called “dress code anxiety” and can lead to your date thinking you’re not interested in them, or worse, putting them on a pedestal (for example, asking that they pay).
To avoid this, follow these simple rules:
- For bars: Men should dress casually enough so that you can talk comfortably. If you are going to go out for food or drinks after, wear something more formal; don’t overdress just because it’s going to be later. The difference between casual and informal dressing is stark, but there are exceptions for the most part. If you’re bringing a business associate with you and he’s dressed appropriately (typically jeans and a button down shirt), then so will you. This goes especially if he’s younger than 30; women usually prefer younger men over older ones. But if it doesn’t matter how old your date is (and she isn’t expecting high standards), choose comfort over formality as long as it feels right to you.
- For restaurants: Wear something more formal than what you would wear at home if the restaurant serves formal attire; otherwise, wear what works best with your own style. Wearing jeans and sneakers suggests an informal vibe (“I’m comfortable”). However wearing khakis and button downs suggests a more professional vibe (“This is how I dress at work”) And wearing some kind of golf shirt reinforces the fact that this isn’t about work (“I play golf!”).
What to wear on a casual first date man
- When you’re heading out on a first date with someone, it’s best to keep things casual. You don’t want to be dressed too formally unless you know the occasion calls for it. You should also avoid being overdressed when your date is more casual. This can be overwhelming and may even make her feel uncomfortable on the date.
- You can look good and feel confident in many different types of casual clothes, but you should make sure that everything is clean and neat so you look your best. Your date will definitely notice!
If you want to make the best impression, keep your outfit simple and try not to commit any major grooming mistakes.
First impressions are important. You want to look your best and avoid any grooming mistakes (we’ll dive into those in a minute). But the key is to keep it simple. A first date should be about getting to know each other, not analyzing a new outfit.
The classic date night look goes something like this: well-fitting jeans or pants, a belt that matches the shoes you’ll wear and a quality jacket or blazer. Throw on an optional tie if the situation calls for it and you’ve got yourself a clean, classic outfit that won’t look out of place at any date venue.
But don’t get caught up in it all too much—the goal is simply to feel confident with what you’re wearing. If that means not having any buttons done up on your shirt and rocking some baggy jeans, then do it! And make sure you’re comfortable! That’s the most important thing when choosing what to wear on a first date—you want to be able to relax so that nerves don’t get in the way of conversing.
When it comes to fashion for men, there are few things that are as important as the clothing you wear on a first date. This is the opportunity to impress your date with your sense of style, and you should dress in a way that makes you look good while also clearly conveying your personality to her.
The main takeaway from this blog post should be that first dates are all about creating a casual, comfortable atmosphere. In terms of what to wear, the most crucial thing is to not try too hard—and that’s easier said than done for some gals, especially on a blind date! If you want to play it safe but still get noticed, pay attention to your outfit and the color palette you select. Avoid anything too flashy or revealing, opt for neutral shades that flatter your skin tone, and add a pop of color with smart accessories like scarves or cuffs. Sure, choosing what to wear on a first date can be stressful. But hopefully the advice above will make at least one aspect of the process a little less daunting.