You look in the mirror and decide you need a change. It’s been a long time since your graduation ceremony, but isn’t that always the way of it? You have one day to dress to the nines and then you go back to work and school as usual, all before your next chance at glory.
You need inspiration. And we are here to provide it! We know what you should wear for your graduation ceremony, whether you’re a mother, father, guest or student. Read on for the best ensembles for any education-related occasion.
What to Wear to a Graduation as a Mother
Your graduation is a celebration of your accomplishments, so think about how you want to dress and get the most out of it.
- It’s a nice day; show up in long sleeves and comfortable shoes so you can walk around comfortably if you need to.
- If it’s hot, wear light colours or no colour at all (solid black, white, grey or green).
- Wear layers as needed to keep warm in the cool weather. Wear thin layers like a turtleneck underneath a comfortable shirt and sweater over that, and then add an extra layer of something like a light jacket or cardigan.
- Wear layered clothing over your clothes for warmth: wear a thick sweater with jeans & tights/shorts underneath it and then add wool socks with booties that are knee length. Cute but still modest!
What to Wear to a Graduation Ceremony
- Dress on the conservative side.
- While you don’t want to wear something that isn’t appropriate for most occasions, you also don’t want to overdress. Remember, this is a ceremony for a graduation and not something like a wedding or even a formal party. You can dress it up with some jewelry or maybe even wear heels, but it’s best to stick with something comfortable.
If you’re not sure what kind of attire is appropriate, try talking to someone who has graduated from that same school before or ask the school directly about their policies. Either way, make sure you’re prepared ahead of time so there aren’t any surprises on graduation day!
What to Wear to a Graduation Party
You’re heading to a graduation party and don’t know what to wear. Here’s what you should keep in mind:
- Wear something that allows you to move around. You’ll be mingling with guests, going from table to table, and cruising for food.
- Wear something that allows you to dance if you want. If the music is good, you may feel compelled to get on your feet and bust a move. If you’re wearing a skirt or dress, make sure it’s not too short so that your butt cheeks aren’t exposed when you’re dancing or sitting down.
- Wear something comfortable but not sloppy. Avoid clothes that are too tight or restrictive; they can be uncomfortable and unflattering. On the other hand, avoid pajamas because they give a message of being lazy even if they are comfortable!
- Wear something in which you can eat comfortably (i.e., avoid wearing white). Graduation parties often have great food so make sure your outfit isn’t constricting your stomach area before an exciting meal! Also try not to spill on yourself because stains will make it seem like your clothes have been worn once before and haven’t been washed between uses–not the look we’re going for here!“`
What to Wear to a Graduation Ceremony as a Guest Male
What should you wear?
The simplest solution would be to wear a suit, but for those who don’t have a suit or it doesn’t fit well enough, then choose to wear a sports jacket with a collared shirt (button-down is acceptable too). You’ll want to wear dress pants or khakis as well, neatly pressed and clean. If you do choose a sports jacket instead of a suit, make sure the color and patterns work well together and that your shoes match the rest of your outfit. A tie isn’t necessary if you aren’t the graduate, but if you choose to wear one make sure it works with the rest of your outfit. Polished dress shoes are appropriate, so no sneakers—unless they’re clean and look very similar in style to dress shoes (i.e., Chuck Taylor Converse All Star). A pocket square can also add some flair: make sure it matches (or at least coordinates) with your tie and/or pocket square. Make sure you’re wearing socks that match your pants (not your shoes!), belt that matches your shoes, watch if desired; avoid tie clips unless they go with the rest of your outfit (but understand this might be difficult for many men).
What to Wear to a Graduation Ceremony as a Guest Female
You might not care about wearing a suit to a graduation ceremony, but it’s important to respect the fact that you are attending an event with tradition and ceremony. What you wear will affect how you feel and behave on the day, as well as how other people perceive you. Male graduates should remind themselves that they may have to wait for hours before the ceremony is over, so dressing in formal clothes can help give them more confidence and endurance. Female graduates should take care when selecting dresses or skirts that do not show too much skin or otherwise distract from their achievements.
What to Wear to a Graduation as a Guest Male
There is no reason for a male guest to not wear a suit or tuxedo to a graduation. Collared shirts and ties are your friend. Now, it’s the summer so you can definitely go the seersucker route if you want, and if the graduation is in a warm climate you may even want to go with linen. But there’s no place at a graduation where slacks, khakis, polo shirts and golf shoes are appropriate either.
If you’re on the fence about what to wear as a male guest to a graduation, this should help: Dress as though you were going on an interview (if it was during the day) or out on a date (if it was at night). It’s that simple!
So be sure to select your clothing before you leave for the event. You’ll thank yourself when all of the other guys aren’t looking like they just came from mowing lawns while you look polished and professional in your stylish attire.
What to Wear to a Graduation Ceremony Male
Studies show that your chances of being invited to the graduation dinner increase by almost 50% if you arrive wearing a tuxedo. It’s important not to overdo it, however: check with the administration before purchasing a top hat and tails. Grade school graduations are generally more casual affairs than those of high schools and colleges, so be sure to check with your child’s guidance counselor before showing up in formal wear.
For young men graduating from kindergarten or grade school, I always suggest a good tweed jacket and slacks. If the weather is cold, you can also opt for an overcoat or vest. Do be careful not to go overboard: only wear one pair of pants at a time, as this will add unnecessary bulk and restrict your movements during the ceremony. Avoid excessively long pants that could drag on the floor and possibly trip other graduates as they walk across the stage to receive their diplomas.
What to Wear to a Graduation Male
What to Wear to a Graduation Male
There are several different options for what you could wear to a graduation. These include:
- A suit
- A tie
- A dress shirt
- A dress shirt and tie
- A dress shirt, tie, and suit
- A dress shirt, tie, and blazer
- Dress shirt, tie, and pants
These tips will help you make sure you’re dressed appropriately for the occasion.
Whether you are a mother, father, sister, brother, guest or friend to the Graduate, we have tips that will help you make sure you’re dressed appropriately for the occasion.
It is important to keep in mind that this day comes only once in a lifetime. So it is worth looking your best on such an important day. As long as you stick to being appropriate and comfortable (not too formal and not too casual), then you’ve got yourself covered!
The graduation ceremony season falls around spring time. You may want to wear light colors since wearing heavy dark fabrics might be uncomfortable due to the heat of the sun during these times of year. To make sure that your clothes aren’t too casual for this kind of event, avoid wearing jeans and t-shirts with words or pictures on them. Of course those are fine for everyday wear but not for attending a graduation ceremony! If you are female and want to show off your pride as a mother try wearing something white or pink with beads on it! If you are male and want something more formal then try wearing a suit with some nice shoes.
And there you have it! These guidelines should give you a good idea of what to wear to graduation, whether you’re a student or guest. By following these tips, your clothing will help you avoid unfavorable results and instead enjoy the day with confidence and style.
As always, we hope this article has been helpful. We wish all the graduates out there congratulations on their accomplishments and best wishes for their future success.