A white turtleneck: The simplest way to wear the sweater vest is a classic white turtleneck under it. Like with the blouse, this look can be quite formal but it’s also great for a casual outfit (especially when you pair it with jeans or wool pants.)
The sweater vest is a piece that you should definitely have in your closet but it’s also one of the most misunderstood pieces in fashion. This article is going to explain to you everything that you need to know about this classic garment so that you can add it to your wardrobe and start looking like a tall glass of water!
What Is A Sweater Vest?
A sweater vest is a sleeveless, ribbed knit pullover with two holes for arms and often has buttons or zippers down front (or sometimes up). It’s typically worn over another shirt like dress shirts or turtlenecks when there are colder temperatures outside because they keep your neck warm without making it hard for people around you see what kind of outfit they’re wearing underneath their clothes.
A lace camisole
Pair your sweater vest with a lace camisole. For a classic, feminine look that doesn’t put you at risk of overheating, consider pairing your sweater vest with a lace camisole. Choose one in a light color such as white or blush to pair with your sweater vest, and choose a lightweight material for your camisole for maximum comfort. Not sure how to style this look? Try tucking the top edge of your camisole into your trousers and allowing the rest of the garment to hang loose beneath your sweater vest.
A button-down shirt: This may sound too formal but, as I said, sweater vests can be worn with both casual and more formal pieces. Make sure the shirt is thin and, preferably, that it has a collar.
- A button-down shirt. This may sound too formal but, as I said, sweater vests can be worn with both casual and more formal pieces. Make sure the shirt is thin and, preferably, that it has a collar. Try wearing one with a blazer or cardigan for an even more professional look.
- A tee-shirt. This option makes for a great causal look! Keep the tee simple—nothing too distracting or busy. Pair it with jeans or cords and you’ve got a great casual outfit!
A bright and colorful top
A bright and colorful top. Think of your sweater vest as an accessory. You wouldn’t wear a necklace that clashes with your outfit or a pair of shoes that don’t complement the rest of what you have on, so why wear something under the sweater vest that doesn’t look good together? If your vest is blue, avoid wearing a top in a similar shade. Instead, choose a color that adds contrast to the outfit while still looking good together.
You can also add some interest to the outfit by choosing two different patterns for your top and sweater vest. In this case, make sure the colors in each pattern coordinate well with each other to create an aesthetically pleasing combination overall.
What to wear with a sweater vest womens
- A blouse with a collar: We think this is the easiest combination because it’s the most office-appropriate, and you can’t go wrong with that.
- A tank top: This look is perfect for your next casual outing—think brunch or a casual day out in the city.
- A turtleneck: If you’re really into layering, then this outfit is perfect for you. All you have to do is add a jacket or coat to keep warm on your way to work or when running errands on the weekend.
- A button-down shirt: You can easily wear a sweater vest over button-down shirts for both formal and informal occasions; just make sure that the neckline of your blouse matches up nicely with your vest’s neckline!
- A lace camisole/a ribbed knit tank/a long-sleeved top: The options are endless when it comes to layering under your new sweater vest!
What to wear under a cream sweater vest
A cream sweater vest is a great addition to any wardrobe. It can be worn with almost anything, from jeans and a T-shirt to a skirt and blouse. You can wear it by itself on warmer days or layer it over long sleeves in the colder months. A cream sweater vest can add some sophistication to your look without feeling too formal, as long as you find the right one for you. The first thing you need to do is find the right type of sweater vest for your body type — everybody needs a different length or pattern depending on their shape. For example, if you’re petite, then you should look for a sweater vest that has some length to it so it doesn’t cut off at an awkward place around your hips and make them appear larger than they actually are (a common problem encountered when wearing shorter clothing items).
What to wear with a long sweater vest
So, you’ve got your sweater vest. But what should you wear with it? Here are some options that would look great underneath:
- Leather pants. Leather pants can go with almost any sweater vest. They look especially nice if the leather pants are black or dark brown.
- High heels. A pair of high heels will really tie the outfit together and make a statement. They can be any color—try wearing black or dark brown ones to match the leather pants!
What to wear with a grey sweater vest
You can’t go wrong with a neutral color when it comes to clothing. Grey has been associated with authority and control, which is the exact kind of vibe you want to exude when wearing a vest.
The classic grey sweater vest looks best paired with a matching button-down shirt and dark jeans or chinos. This ensemble is an easy way to put together your own personal uniform without having to buy one from the mall. It’s a great way for men to get dressed up without being too formal, as well as for women who don’t have time to sit down in the morning and plan out their outfits
What to wear with an oversized sweater vest
If you’re styling an oversized sweater vest for a casual look, try pairing it with a pair of high-waisted skinny jeans. This combo will balance out the length and volume of your sweater, leaving you looking perfectly proportioned. Plus, if your sweater is slightly longer in the back, those jeans will hide that too!
For a more feminine look, pair your oversized sweater vest with a long and flowy skirt. This is actually one of my favorite ways to style an oversized sweater vest because it’s so effortless and cute. You can add tights or leggings under the skirt for extra warmth during the winter months.
While an oversized sweater vest looks great with jeans and skirts, it also looks awesome when paired with wide-leg pants and trousers. Whether straight-legged or flared, throw on some pants that hug your waist but are loose on your legs to create the ultimate cozy outfit this fall.
Throw on a pair of knee-high boots to complete this stunning fall outfit! For extra warmth, tuck a pair of leggings or thermal socks into your booties as well.
Another boot option is ankle boots—especially since they can be worn all year round!
A ribbed knit tank: This is the perfect option for layering because the tank itself is so thin that it’s great for wearing under sweaters, dresses and even tops. It will give some extra warmth to your outfit but not add any bulk at all.
Wearing a sweater vest is like owning a modern-day poncho. It can go with basically anything and looks great in all seasons. The right sweater vest will complete any outfit, whether you’re dressing up for a casual dinner or out to get some drinks with friends. And the best part of wearing one is that it doesn’t take much effort to look good: simply pair it with a classic white tee shirt and a pair of dark wash jeans and you’ve got yourself an overall look that’s both effortlessly cool and easy to dress up or down depending on the occasion.