A red velvet dress.
A red velvet dress is a classic look for any winter holiday, but it’s especially stunning when you’re attending The Nutcracker. To ensure your look is perfect, wear your red velvet dress with:
- A fur coat: Red and white fur coats are the ultimate classic combination for The Nutcracker. If your dress isn’t white, try to match the color of your coat with other elements of the dress such as pearls or heels.
- Black tights and black heels: This is the time to pull out all of the stops and wear black tights and heels to match your red velvet ensemble. You can even do a classic cat-eye makeup look or go bold with dark lips if you want to emphasize how gorgeous red looks for this occasion.
- Pearls: No one does elegance like Drosselmeyer—and you can too when you add delicate white pearls to your outfit. (Fake pearls are fine too!) Just make sure that if you’re wearing a necklace, it doesn’t get in your way while watching the performance.
Your appearance at The Nutcracker will be gorgeous no matter what kinds of clothes you choose—but if you really want to excel at style, a bright red velvet dress will have everyone keeping their eyes on you!
A tulle skirt and a velvet blazer.
Don’t forget to wear a hat. The Nutcracker Ballet takes place in the mid-to-late 1800s, and hats were a big fashion statement for both women and men in this time period. Adding a hat to your outfit is an easy way to add some extra style (and warmth) without having to do too much — plus it’ll make you feel like you’re part of the performance!
If you need inspiration, look no further than the costumes worn by Clara, Marie and the Sugar Plum Fairy herself (or himself). Feel free to wear any color tulle skirt that goes well with your velvet blazer. The same goes for your shoes and handbag. If you really want to go all out, wear a hat that matches them all! For some extra flair consider adding jewelry or other accessories like gloves.
A puff-sleeve dress.
If you are in the mood to wear a dress, consider going for a puff-sleeve one. In neutral colors or with a bold print, this type of dress is versatile and flattering on everyone. Wear your puff-sleeve dress with a matching coat or blazer if you want to stay warm; go for a classic style dress with a stand-up collar and/or long sleeves if you want to be modest.
You can even wear your puff-sleeve dress in different ways:
- For example, by tying the sash at the waist, you can create an hourglass figure; cinch it around just above the hips to show off an hourglass figure.
- Or try something simpler: gather the fabric of your sleeves on each shoulder and cross them across your back.
A silk midi dress.
The second (and final) item you’ll need to look a million bucks is—you guessed it—a dress. The midi length and silk material are both fantastic choices for this season, but the necktie detail is what really makes this dress stand out. This style will bring your outfit up to professional level, while also making it perfect for festive occasions like the ballet. Just make sure you find a shirt-dress with a belt to tie around your waist and a high neckline that’ll flatter your figure. If you’re looking for something more extravagant, opt for a flowing skirt with ruffles or even one that comes with a slit down the side (as long as it’s not too high).
A turtleneck sweater and a printed skirt.
If you want to look your best at the Nutcracker, we recommend wearing a fitted turtleneck sweater with a printed skirt. The skirt can be full or A-line and should drape nicely over your legs. You can add an extra layer for warmth with a textured jacket that’s the same color as your skirt.
For the bottom half of your outfit, wear sheer tights in either black or nude and finish off the look with some pretty heels that match your top. Complete it all with a small clutch in either gold or silver and remember to accessorize! A statement necklace will turn heads at this holiday event.
An embellished blouse and a metallic skirt.
If you’re attending the ballet, it’s likely for a festive party. The best way to look like you’re ready for a cheerful occasion is by pairing a silk blouse with a metallic skirt. Finish off the look with subtle but effective accessories such as a red lip and black heels. If you’re still not sure what to wear, just think of how Clara might dress if she were going out to celebrate after saving all the toys from the evil Mouse King.
There are plenty of great deals on tickets if you know where to look, so don’t miss out on this showstopping performance! You can buy tickets at the box office or online for fair prices.
What to wear to the nutcracker ballet nyc
The Nutcracker is a magical holiday tradition for all ages. If you’re lucky enough to be going to the ballet this year, you’ll want to make sure that your outfit is in line with the event’s fanciful spirit. The good news is that there are lots of options out there, from festive cocktail attire to full-on costumes.
Here are some quick tips on what to wear and where to find it:
- Do choose sequins or sparkles: You might think that overall sparkle would be too much, but it’s actually one of the best ways to go at The Nutcracker Ballet. There’s no such thing as too much shine here!
- Don’t wear anything fussy: Sure, you can go gala-chic if you’d like—we love long gowns and fur stoles—but they’re not a must by any means. What matters most is that your outfit makes you feel comfortable and beautiful! So skip anything tight or binding—it will only distract from your enjoyment of the show.
- If in doubt, pull out the classics: Looking for something safe? A little black dress and pearls will never fail you at The Nutcracker, and neither will a satin gown with powder puffs for hair (and maybe even shoes!).
What to wear to the nutcracker ballet matinee
If you’re attending the matinee, you should feel free to be a bit more casual with your outfit. However, to fit in with the festive vibe of the season, keep that in mind when deciding what to wear. You don’t have to go full ball gown or tuxedo here. Instead, think about what colors fit best for a holiday celebration: red and green are obvious choices for this time of year. A dressy leather pair of pants works just as well as a skirt or dress; make sure you pick something comfortable so you can stay seated for two hours if you need to without fidgeting too much. For your top half, choose something fun and festive—it’s the holidays after all! Just make sure it’s not too short—you’ll get cold in the theater if it is, especially if your arms aren’t covered!
Outfits to wear to the nutcracker ballet
It’s no secret that the best way to attend The Nutcracker ballet is to dress in theme. Dressing up for the ballet gives you an opportunity to wear something you wouldn’t normally, and puts everyone in the mood for a holiday classic. Here are some favorite looks we have put together for this upcoming season:
- A red velvet dress
- A tulle skirt and a velvet blazer
- A puff-sleeve dress
- A silk midi dress paired with a fur stole
- A turtleneck sweater with a printed skirt
- An embellished top with a metallic pencil skirt
How to look great at the nutcracker ballet
- For a look that’s timeless, yet fresh, wear a velvet dress in a rich jewel tone.
- If you want to show off your fashion-savvy side, choose a tulle skirt and velvet blazer ensemble.
- A puff-sleeve dress is the easiest way to channel the ’80s trend this season.
- For a style that’s easy and versatile, wear a midi silk dress with neutral heels.
- A turtleneck sweater and printed skirt pairing will allow you to celebrate the ballet without feeling overly dressed up.
- An embellished blouse and metallic skirt combo will elevate any holiday party look.