The 70s was a time of change and diversity. While the 60s were all about peace, love and understanding, the 70s brought a lot of energy to the table. During this decade, fashion took on many new shapes as well as colors. The 70’s were known for their bold statement pieces with vibrant colors that would often stand out from everything else.
Fashion in the 1970’s saw many changes due to political unrest and social movements such as feminism and anti-racism. Many young people favored casual clothing over what had previously been considered formal wear such as suits or dresses which meant that they could express themselves more freely than ever before!
Go to your local thrift store.
Going to your local thrift store is one of the best ways to find a variety of pieces for an outfit. You will be able to pick out vintage pieces for cheap and make them look like you paid a lot of money, or buy some inexpensive items from the store and turn them into something unique.
If you are on a budget, thrift stores are great because they have lots of cheap options that fit any style. If you aren’t on a budget (or don’t care), then thrift stores are also great because they have antique clothes that cost more than what’s in your closet right now!
Learn about the trends and styles of the 70s.
While you can just throw on a vest, pants, and tie and call it a day, there are some things to keep in mind when dressing for the decade. For men: the look of the 70s was all about bell bottoms and wide-legged pants. For women: it’s all about mini skirts and hot pants.
Wear bell bottoms or wide-legged pants.
- Wear bell bottoms or wide-legged pants.
- Wear a shirt with a large collar. This will give you the appearance of having a bigger bust, which is also very ’70s.
- Add shoulder pads to your jacket or blazer. You can also wear an overcoat with shoulder pads if you find that the frock coat style doesn’t suit your body type but still want to achieve this look!
- Accessorize with platform shoes and chunky jewelry like gold necklaces and bracelets along with black sunglasses or cat eye sunglasses as well as any kind of vintage style hat, beret or knit cap (earflap hats are especially popular).
Wear a flannel shirt.
If you’re not sure where to start, a flannel shirt is a great place to start. It’s stylish and warm, and it can be paired with almost anything! Just remember that the 70s were all about looking like you didn’t care and so don’t worry too much about matching patterns or colors.
Wear a denim jacket.
If you want to make your outfit look 70s, wear a denim jacket. Denim was the fabric of the day. It was popular for shirts and skirts, but also for jackets! Some were sleeveless and worn over a shirt or tee, while others had leather sleeves or a shearling collar. Still others had corduroy collars (yes) or even embroidered patches (yes!)
This is an easy way to get that classic 70s vibe without sacrificing your comfort level in any way whatsoever—you can still wear stretchy jeans underneath!
Put on a pair of square-toed shoes or high top sneakers.
You can wear a pair of square-toed shoes or high top sneakers. It would be best to choose one or the other. These shoes were popular during the 70s and they give off a retro vibe that will make your outfit look like it came straight out of this decade.
If you’re not sure what type of shoe you want, think about what kind of person you want to dress up as. If you’re trying to channel someone who is more on the nerdy side, then go for square-toed shoes! If you’re going for an edgier look, then high tops are absolutely perfect!
Throw on a shirt or dress with a star print.
A print that was very popular in the 70s is the star print. You can find it on shirts, dresses and even blouses. With this one piece you can change your look completely!
The first way to wear it is with jeans and denim jacket.
For a more relaxed feel, pair your shirt or dress with some sneakers. This is an easy style for everyday wear.
Add a dash of color with funky accessories, such as big chunky necklaces and brightly colored sunglasses.
If you’re looking to add a little color to an outfit that’s already mostly black and white, accessories are the way to go. Wear big chunky necklaces, brightly colored sunglasses or a belt with a bold print. It’ll give your look some life without being too busy.
Accessories can also be fun and make great conversation starters when you’re talking with friends (see: The Golden Girls). Plus it’s always nice having something on hand that adds some interest when things start getting boring—like the time it took for me to find my keys after work!
You can easily achieve 70s fashion with clothes you already have in your closet.
- Look for clothes and accessories that are made of natural materials. The 70s were a time when people wore lots of clothes made from natural fibers, like cotton, linen, or wool. These fabrics are comfortable to wear and look great in any color or style. If you have some old T-shirts made of these materials hanging in your closet that haven’t been worn in years because they seem dated to you now, give them another chance! They’ll have a whole new life when given the right styling touches
If you want to try out a 70s look without committing to it, follow these steps:
- Get a pair of bell bottoms. They are the easiest way to achieve the 70s look. You can find them at any thrift store and they’re very affordable. You can also buy them online if you don’t want to drive around looking for them in person.
- Buy some platform shoes or boots that have ankle straps and buckles on them (these will be easy to find at a thrift store). High heels are another option for women who want to wear their own shoes but still give off that retro vibe. For men, loafers or loafers with socks are an acceptable choice.
Who asked these questions?
- “How do I dress like the 70s?”
- “How do you dress 70s style?”
- “What did girls wear in the 70s?”
- “What is the most popular 70s fashion?”
These are all good questions! The answers are as follows: Dressing like a hippie is one way to achieve this look, but there are plenty of other ways to achieve this look. What’s important is that your outfit has elements of 1970s style, such as bell bottoms or flares. You can also add accessories like headbands, scarves and sunglasses. Finally, it’s important to remember that everyone looks different depending on their body shape and size—so don’t be afraid to experiment with different silhouettes!