How to make a winter capsule wardrobe
Capsule wardrobes are all the rage these days, and for good reason: they’re convenient, stylish and easy to keep up with. If you’ve always dreamed of simplifying your closet but don’t know where to begin, consider starting with a winter capsule wardrobe.
Buy on Etsy, Turtleneck Sweaters Autumn Winter Slim Pullover Knit Sweater
A winter capsule can help you beat the holiday blues by providing you with an instant closet full of effortlessly chic outfits that will keep you looking great all season long.
READ NEXT: How To Start Your Capsule Wardrobe
So if your wardrobe is feeling too heavy or unwieldy this year, read on to learn how to build a winter capsule wardrobe!
Layer in neutral colors.
When building a capsule wardrobe, it is essential to layer in neutral colors. This means that no matter what you’re wearing, you can pair it with certain pieces of clothing and accessories without worrying about clashing or looking mismatched. Neutral colors include black, white, navy blue, khaki green/tan/beige (depending on personal preference), etc.
When choosing what colors to mix together for your wardrobe this winter season, think about how they will look against each other when layered together as well as on their own. While there are no hard-and-fast rules here—you wear the clothes you like!—here are some tips:
- Use colors that match; for example if one top is beige and another top has pink flowers on it then those two should probably go together because they match each other very nicely
- Use colors that go together from afar but have slightly different undertones closer up so both sets look great when worn together without being too similar looking (e.g., navy blue with grey)
- Use colors that make sense together even though they don’t necessarily match perfectly (e.g., blue jeans with light grey shirt). This technique gives outfits more depth so they don’t seem flat anymore!
READ NEXT: How To Wear A Capsule Wardrobe
* Use colors that you like! Don’t be afraid to express yourself in the clothes you wear. If there’s a color you love, go for it. * Use colors that make you feel comfortable, confident, beautiful, or powerful (or all four!). These emotions can help guide your decision making when choosing which clothing items to wear each day.
Panelled Faux Fur Jacket. Winter wonderland, buy on Etsy
Use quality fabrics and colors that won’t fade.
- Buy high quality fabrics. It’s a good idea to invest in quality fabrics, not just because they’ll last longer, but also because it’ll be easier to find versatile pieces that can be worn year after year. Look for wrinkle resistant and stain resistant fabrics, as well as easy-to-care for materials like silk or rayon—which you can wash with cold water and hang dry.
- Buy dark colors that won’t fade. If you want your winter wardrobe to last beyond this season, then choose dark colors like black, navy blue and charcoal gray (or muted versions of these colors) instead of bright shades such as red or pink (these will fade quickly).
The best way to build a winter capsule wardrobe is by starting with basic colors and adding different textures, patterns, or prints after that. Starting with solid colors will give you more options when it comes time to accessorize your outfits while also making it easier to mix and match pieces together.
READ NEXT: How Many Pieces Are In A Capsule Wardrobe
Office lady pocket thick long cardigan winter, Buy on Etsy
Choose a handful of key pieces that can be mixed and matched.
Choose a handful of key pieces that can be mixed and matched. You don’t need to go out and purchase every item in your capsule wardrobe all at once. This is one of the main benefits of having a capsule wardrobe: it allows you to slowly build up your collection over time. Choose one or two pieces per month, depending on how much money you have to spend on clothing each month, until your closet is full of stylish outfits. It also helps if these pieces are neutral in color so that they match everything else in your closet!
Choose a winter Capsule Wardrobe will simplify your life by giving an instant closet full of effortlessly chic outfits instead of having to spend hours trying different combinations in front of the mirror every morning (or worse still, spending ages looking for something suitable).
READ: Your guide to creating a capsule wardrobe for work – CNN
Incorporate your favorite trends.
- Incorporate your favorite trends.
- Make sure it’s an item you’ll wear more than once.
- Don’t buy something just because it’s on trend.
- Don’t buy something just because it’s cheap.
- Don’t buy something just because it’s in the sale
Go for timeless basics that you’ll wear season after season.
Finding basic pieces that will last for years is a good place to start. You’ll always want to buy quality basics, as they are the foundation of any wardrobe. Start by choosing items that can be worn in multiple ways, such as shirts and sweaters. Next, look for versatile pieces that can go with other clothes you already own. Finally, think about how you like to mix and match your clothing and what sort of vibe you’re going for before adding anything new.
Choose a few key wardrobe staples that you can mix and match with other items, such as a white t-shirt paired with jeans or a button-down shirt tucked into slacks. Wearing these basics in different ways will not only help create more variety for your closet but also make getting dressed easier.
Buy items that can transition from day to night.
- Buy items that can transition from day to night.
It’s important to have versatile pieces that can be worn during the day, but also look great at night. This will allow you to mix and match your outfits without having too many pieces from each category.
- Know what makes your body look good—and stick with it!
For example, if you have small hips and a curvy waist, play up those assets by wearing pants or skirts that show off your waistline and balance out your figure. On the other hand, if you have long legs and short torso (or vice versa), make sure to show off those features by wearing tops or dresses with short hemlines so their length doesn’t overwhelm their silhouette!
- Stay updated on trends and know which are classics worth investing in over time!
Have fun with accessories.
Here’s a fun fact: accessories are the most important part of your outfit. They can help you make a statement, stand out, blend in, dress up or dress down and everything else in between!
I’m not talking about the kind of accessories that just sit on your head (although hats are great). I’m talking about scarves and jewelry; bags, gloves and sweaters; shoes and socks. These things add visual interest to an otherwise basic look. And with these little details, even though you may be wearing the same black sweater as everyone else in town on December 1st when it’s 20 degrees outside—you’re going to look like yourself instead of just another faceless silhouette bundled up against the cold.
Investing in a winter capsule wardrobe will simplify your life by giving you an instant closet full of effortlessly chic outfits.
You’re probably wondering: What exactly does it mean to have a “capsule wardrobe”? A capsule wardrobe is basically a closet full of clothes that you can mix and match with each other to create multiple outfits. It’s like having an instant closet full of effortlessly chic outfits. Investing in a winter capsule wardrobe will simplify your life by giving you an instant closet full of effortlessly chic outfits, which means less time stressing out about what to wear every morning. If all this sounds good so far, let’s dive into how to build your own winter capsule wardrobe! Most people think that having a capsule wardrobe means buying all new clothes, but the truth is that you can create one out of your existing wardrobe. In fact, many women already have most of the items needed for their own winter capsule wardrobe. All it takes is some strategic shopping and editing to turn your closet into an ultra-stylish collection!
What are the rules of a capsule wardrobe?
In order to build your winter capsule wardrobe, there are three rules you should keep in mind:
- It should be small. A winter capsule wardrobe can contain anywhere from 12-30 items, depending on your personal style and needs. For example, if you live in a cold climate and tend to be more active during the winter months, then a larger collection might be best for you. If not, then go with something smaller—you’ll save time and money by not having to sort through lots of options every morning!
- Each item needs to serve multiple purposes within your wardrobe system. The goal here isn’t just saving money; it’s reducing clutter by utilizing pieces that work together well across different seasons (and even years). This way nothing goes out of style too quickly because all garments are interchangeable within their respective categories (pants vs dresses vs tops).
The final rule is that you must love your wardrobe. It’s important to think of this project not just as an exercise in saving money or space but also as an opportunity to identify what really makes you feel good when wearing different kinds of clothes.
The rules of a capsule wardrobe are that it consists of only essential items. The goal is to create a collection of clothing that you love and can wear year-round, without having to shop too much in between seasons. This way, you’ll save both money and closet space!
How many clothes should be in a capsule wardrobe?
A capsule wardrobe is a collection of items that you wear together in a set number of different outfits—in other words, a wardrobe made up of pieces that all match each other. The idea behind this concept is to reduce decision fatigue when getting dressed in the morning, making it easier to put together outfits on the fly and avoid missing out on your favorite pieces because they’ve been forgotten at the bottom of a drawer or closet.
The minimalism movement has helped popularize this wardrobe-building technique, highlighting its ease and cost savings (since you don’t have to buy as many clothes). But even if you aren’t ready to commit yourself entirely to minimalist living, there are still plenty of benefits from adopting this new approach:
* It should be versatile. The idea behind a winter capsule wardrobe isn’t just saving money; it’s reducing clutter by utilizing pieces that work together well across different seasons (and even years). This way nothing goes out of style too quickly because all garments are interchangeable within their respective categories (pants vs dresses vs tops)How many clothes should be in a capsule wardrobe? The definition of a capsule wardrobe differs based on what you need it for. A workweek capsule may include more items than one for travel or going out on the weekends, but when it comes down to it, the number of pieces doesn’t matter as much as how often you wear them..
How many clothes should be in a capsule wardrobe? The definition of a capsule wardrobe differs based on what you need it for. A workweek capsule may include more items than one for travel or going out on the weekends, but when it comes down to it, the number of pieces doesn’t matter as much as how often you wear them.
How do I switch to a capsule wardrobe?
- Start with a list of items you already own.
- Look at your closet and make a list of items you already own that you love and would wear again. These might be great pieces that are versatile enough to mix into multiple outfits, or they might be items that are so special and rare that they only work for certain occasions (for example, if it’s really expensive). Either way, once you have your list of possibilities, it will help you decide what other clothing needs buying for the new season.
- Make a list of items you need to buy: It might seem obvious at this point but don’t forget about shoes (both casual and formal), accessories (such as jewelry or belts), outerwear like coats/jackets/coats) underwear/bras etc)
Research what other people have included in their wardrobe: look at images of capsule wardrobes online and see what items appear to be included. Find inspiration in magazines and catalogs. Create a mood board of ideas so you can see all the pieces together in one place
A winter capsule wardrobe is a great way to simplify your closet and make it easier to stay organized. It’s also a great way to save money on clothes, because you won’t need as many items when you can mix and match from a smaller collection! If you want some inspiration for building your own winter capsule wardrobe, check out our post on creating an eco-friendly one.