It’s a new year, and leather leggings are back.
Whether they’re the leather leggings you haven’t touched since your last breakup, or a brand new pair that’s still sitting in their original packaging, we’re here to tell you that this is THE YEAR for you to pull them out from the depths of your closet and wear them with pride.
Do try to avoid tight jeans and bootcut pants.
Let’s start with what NOT to pair your leather leggings with. Although leggings can be worn like pants, it’s important not to wear them as if they’re jeans or trousers. That means you should avoid pairing them with clothing that would otherwise go with tight jeans or bootcut pants, like a simple tee-shirt and sneakers. As stated previously, leather leggings need to be treated more like dresses or skirts.
Wear something light, fun and comfortable.
To keep your outfit from looking too stiff and structured, wear something light and comfortable. This will also emphasize the softness of the leather leggings, so you won’t have to worry about looking like a ninja assassin when that’s probably not the image you’re going for.
- A blouse is perfect for this purpose! Whether it’s silk or another fabric, a blouse can be worn with leather leggings and look feminine and fashionable.
- Another great choice is wearing a t-shirt with your leather leggings. T-shirts are fun and versatile, so they go well with almost any outfit! You could dress them up or down—perfect if you just want something easy to wear that doesn’t require much thought at all.
Wear something that flatters your body shape.
You’re probably thinking, “But the point of leather leggings is to look like a sexy rock star from the 1980s!”
I hear you. I used to be in a band and play guitar. But let me tell you something: There are other ways to look like a sexy rock star than wearing leather leggings that hide nothing. If you have curves, chances are your body type will work best with something more structured on top (see below). If you don’t have curves and want them, try belting it (again, see below).
If you want to wear something loose on the bottom, go for it. Leather tends to be heavy so that can balance out a top that fits closer to your body at the waist or has looser sleeves.
Avoid wearing leather, denim or leather-look items when going out.
Leather leggings are a tricky trend to pull off. It’s easy to get carried away with the idea of wearing leather and end up looking like you’ve stepped straight out of a crime show. But if you find the right balance, they can be comfortable and flattering.
The key is to avoid pairing them with anything that looks too leathery or denim-y, as this can make your outfit look dated. Instead, try something more casual—a T-shirt with jeans or even some shorts for a relaxed vibe.
The great thing about these pants is that they’re so versatile! Wear them with anything from skinny jeans and flats for work, dressier tops when going out on dates—or even just lounging around at home in an oversized sweater. You can’t go wrong!
Wear a loose-fitting top under the leggings which will make the look flattering.
This is a formula that will make the look flattering and help give you confidence to rock the outfit without slouching or looking boring. You can also wear a tighter fitted top and tuck it in. This will also help with creating an hourglass figure by emphasizing your waistline.
Wear something you feel comfortable in.
Although leather leggings can be intimidating to wear, combining them with just the right top can make you look like a fashion icon. Here are some tips for pairing your leather leggings with tops of various kinds:
- If you’re nervous about wearing tight-fitting leather leggings, go for a loose top to balance out the fittedness of the bottom. For example, a tunic sweater or blouse will help give your outfit an overall relaxed effect while still allowing you to show off your great legs.
- On the other hand, if you’re ready to really rock those leggings and aren’t afraid to show off some skin, a tight top such as a form-fitting turtleneck or corset would pair wonderfully with them. You’ll look like an edgy version of Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider!
- A dress is also a great option if you want something less revealing. Leather leggings are comfortable enough to wear on long flights and walks around museums, so they’d be perfect for travel days—just throw on a cute sheath dress and you’re good to go!
- Alternatively, if you want more volume in your outfit but don’t care about modesty (or happen upon a lovely summer day), try combining your leather leggings with a simple A-line sundress. I love when my clothes make me feel like I’m in an Audrey Hepburn movie!
Wear something that will flatter your body shape.
You can wear an over-sized sweater with leather leggings, but not in a way that swamps your figure. Make sure it skims your body without clinging to your curves and bottoms. If you’re tall, try the length hit just above your knee and add stiletto boots to create sexy legs for days. For shorter girls, look for a top that hits at the hip and pair with ankle boots or flats to lengthen those legs of yours!
You can rock a legging-and-top combo without slouching or looking boring
- Do wear a top with some shape to it. You don’t have to do anything fancy—a tucked in t-shirt or sweater will work just fine. It doesn’t have to be skin-tight, but make sure the hems are closer to your body than the widest part of your hips.
- Do pair leather leggings with something that feels like you’re wearing jammies. A comfy, oversized top will make the whole ensemble feel more relaxed, and if you didn’t wear makeup that day, no one will be any the wiser for it.
- Do wear something that flatters your body shape. If you’re curvy, accentuate your waist by cinching it with a belt or define your shoulders with an off-the shoulder top (this will draw attention upwards). If you’ve got broad shoulders and narrow hips look for a piece that’ll balance out your proportions—a jacket is always an easy solution (though usually a blazer won’t fit over leather leggings so pick something lightweight).
- Don’t wear leather or denim on top when going out. It’s too heavy (and looks costumey) while also drawing too much attention to yourself as opposed to letting your whole outfit come together seamlessly without having any one element compete for attention. This is true especially if there’s another print or texture mixed into the outfit like sequins pleats lace or silk chiffon: they all need breathing room!
Don’t be fence-sitting on the leather leggings trend any longer! By this point, you have all the information and inspiration you need to get started. You can wear leather leggings with a blazer and shirt for a professional look that’s also sure to attract attention or pair your leather leggings with a cozy sweater and boots for a comfortable yet flattering casual outfit that you’ll want to wear all day long. There are many other ways to wear leather leggings, as well—try mixing them into your everyday wardrobe according to these tips, and in no time at all it will feel like you’ve been wearing them forever!
A leather legging is a versatile item that can be worn in any season. To keep them from becoming dated, avoid wearing tight jeans and bootcut pants. Choose something that flatters your body shape, looks great, and is comfortable to wear for long periods of time. You can even pair them with other items that have leather or denim accents such as a blazer or mini skirt. The key to keeping leather leggings fresh and fun is choosing colors that complement each other without being too similar in tone or shade. If you are going out for the night then avoid wearing any type of dark colored clothing like black t-shirts because this will make you look drab and boring instead of stylish like everyone else at the party!