If you’re traveling for business or pleasure, you probably know that the best way to make sure your carry-on luggage is approved by security and TSA agents is to pack everything into one quart-sized bag and one gallon-sized freezer bag. However, not all Ziploc bags are created equal; some work better than others. Here’s what you need to know:
If you’re flying domestically, stick to quart-sized bags.
If you’re flying domestically, stick to quart-sized bags. You can use a quart-sized bag for liquids and gels, as well as other things like toothpaste and sunscreen. If you have too many liquids in your carry on luggage, TSA will send you back to check-in (or simply confiscate the excess).
If you’re flying internationally and need more than one quart-sized bag of liquid or gel, then go right ahead! Your gallon-sized freezer bags are now your best friend: they’ll hold up to 3 quarts of liquid or gel each—just remember to bring along some extra freezer bags so that when the first few get full at security, they don’t spill all over your clothes.
A one-quart bag is large enough to hold one quart of liquid, as the TSA requires.
One quart is a liquid bottle that holds exactly one quart of liquid. You can use this size to pack all the liquids you need for your trip, including toiletries, medications and drinks.
To measure liquids for TSA guidelines, use a measuring cup or fill to the top of the container’s lip with water and mark it with a pencil or pen. Remember that some containers have threads on them; if yours does, make sure not to include those threads when measuring! Once you’ve filled up your container with water and marked it off as full (or as close as possible), pour out any excess until you’re left with just enough room for ice cubes at the top of your bag—that way nothing will leak into other items inside your suitcase during transport.
A gallon-sized bag will hold more than just liquids.
While it may seem like a gallon-sized bag is the only option for liquids, in reality you can use this size for much more than just carrying your toothpaste and floss.
In addition to toiletries, you can also put things like:
- A change of clothes for yourself or your kids
- A first aid kit (you never know when an accident will happen)
- Travel documents such as passports and hotel reservations
A gallon-sized bag is large enough for small travel-sized toiletries and more.
- A gallon-sized bag is large enough to hold small travel-sized toiletries and more.
- You can use gallon-sized bags for liquids, but they can also be used for non-liquid items.
- You’ll want to choose your Ziploc bag sizes based on what you’re packing and how much room you have in your luggage.
You can use a gallon-sized freezer bag.
If you need to pack liquids that won’t fit in quart-sized Ziploc bags, you have options. The best choice is a freezer bag. These come in gallon sizes and are made of thicker plastic than the quart-sized bags, making them more durable—and they’re reusable!
The first step when using a freezer bag is to count the number of items that will go inside it before filling it up with any liquid items. For example, if you’re packing two bottles of shampoo and conditioner (which come in 8 ounce bottles), then you’ll want a 16 ounce freezer bag for each one. Then fill each bottle up with its contents before putting them into the freezer Ziplocs; this will allow for space between all your belongings so nothing gets smashed together during transit.
Shop the best Ziploc bags in the article below!
- When you’re preparing for your trip, don’t forget to check the TSA website and the airline website to determine what liquids are allowed in your carry-on luggage.
- Don’t forget to check the airport website as well! Each airport has its own set of rules and regulations about excessive amounts of liquid or gels in your carry-on bags, so make sure you know what’s expected before arriving at the airport. If you’re traveling internationally, be sure to learn about their customs regulations as well.
The plastic bags you pack aren’t an afterthought – make sure you’re using the right ones!
Hey, we know you’re busy and plastic bags aren’t an afterthought—but it’s important to make sure you’re using the right ones!
With Ziploc, there are plenty of different sizes and shapes to choose from. But which ones should you use? The size of your carry-on luggage is one factor that can help you decide.
Here’s our guide to figuring out exactly what size plastic bag (or zipper lock) will fit in your carry-on:
We hope we’ve given you some confidence in your packing skills and helped you find the perfect Ziploc bag for your travel needs. Remember to pack efficiently and try not to overthink it: after all, the TSA isn’t necessarily looking at every item in your bag!