Overwhelmed to get a better organized mindset? This will help.
Grab my #1 Tool to Organize your finances, habits, and more to Elevate your self-care.
So you’re getting ready to go to the Kentucky Derby, one of the biggest parties of the year. This isn’t your typical Kentucky Derby party though, it’s a Kentucky Derby themed party. That means no seersucker hats or bow ties and suspenders here, just a lot of fun times with friends and family. Though you might not be sure what to wear to such an event, I’ve got you covered.
Dress for the weather
It’s always a good idea to check the weather before you head out the door. That said, here are a few extra tips for preparing your Kentucky Derby wardrobe:
- Dress in layers. Kentucky Derby day tends to be on the mild side, but it never hurts to come prepared. A pashmina or wrap is a great way to dress up any outfit and keep you warm if the temperature drops as night falls. As an added bonus, you can also use it to protect yourself from the sun if it gets too hot.
- Bring a warm jacket or sweater. In case of rain or thunderstorms (or if you’re at an outdoor party), make sure to wear something that will keep you dry and warm until your hostess has opened her front door.
Make a statement with a hat
The Kentucky Derby is known for its over-the-top hats, and this celebration is the perfect chance for you to show off your style. The hat can be made from a variety of materials, including fabrics, flowers, feathers and ribbons. You can make your own hat or buy one from a department store such as Macy’s or Kohl’s. Hats are available in all price ranges, so if you’re wary about purchasing a large headpiece (for example, if you’ve never worn one before), you might want to start with an inexpensive option that won’t break the bank. However, if it’s your first year attending the Derby, consider splurging on a high-end hat that will make a statement. Consider matching your ensemble to your hat or choosing one in your favorite color—the possibilities here are endless!
Find the perfect summer dress
When it comes to summer dresses, fit is everything. Selecting a dress that fits your body type will help you both look and feel great. For example, if you know you have a short torso, select a dress that doesn’t have excessive ruching at the bustline, which will only make your torso appear shorter. If you are busty up top, avoid dresses with straps that are too thin and delicate; instead select something with wider straps for support.
Nobody wants to be tugging at her dress all day long because it’s uncomfortable. Make sure the style of dress you choose accommodates your activity level for the day and any special requests from the hostess (such as having to walk up stairs or sit cross-legged on the ground). The last thing anyone wants is to be adjusting her modestly cut neckline or hemline all day long because they’re too revealing when seated or bending over. Most hosts will provide an idea of what guests should wear—for example, “casual attire” or “cocktail chic.” This can be tricky if you don’t know exactly what these descriptions mean, so ask if you aren’t sure!
Opt for a floral print
You can never go wrong with a floral print dress for special events like the Kentucky Derby. Floral print dresses are a staple of spring and summer, and they’re sure to make a statement. Opt for a textured fabric dress with a pattern in pastel colors, or try an A-line style for something more timeless. Floral print dresses are available in a wide range of styles, so you’ll have no trouble finding the perfect option that reflects your personal style.
Don’t forget your shoes
When putting your Derby Day look together, however, don’t forget the shoes. There are few things worse than a great outfit that’s let down by subpar footwear. We’ve got some tips to help you match your perfect pair of shoes to the rest of the look:
If you’re wearing a dress and a hat, make sure it’s not too formal. If you’re donning a floor-length evening gown with an elegant hat, chances are you’ll want to pair it with some strappy sandals or even peep-toe pumps. If you’re going for something more casual like floral dresses and straw hats, on the other hand, flats or wedges will be appropriate.
If you’ve decided not to wear a hat, there’s no need to worry! The same rules apply if your ensemble includes sundresses and headbands instead of fancy hats and dresses. This is especially true if the party is more laid back; in those cases sandals will be fine where they might be found wanting at fancier parties.
Try bright whites and light blues
Go ahead and wear bright whites and light blues for an afternoon at the track. These colors are casual enough for a day spent outside, but still fresh and summery.
What to bring to Kentucky derby party
This is a great list of what to bring to the Kentucky Derby, but we’re going to add some of our own items. Here’s a minimal list of what you should bring:
- high heels (it’s not that you can’t wear flats; just be prepared for your feet to ache)
- purse (derby bags are allowed in the infield, but you still have to go through security)
- umbrella (rain is common in April in Kentucky)
- poncho or raincoat
- sunscreen (sun damage and sunburn are extremely common)
You should also consider bringing:
- cash – derbies are expensive! You need money for food, drinks and souvenirs. Plus, you may want to place a bet on the horses. You can get cash out at an ATM when you arrive, but it will probably cost more than using your own bank at home. Also, ATMs run out of money faster than usual during the derby because more people are taking out cash. Keep in mind that there are plenty of ATMs near Churchill Downs, though they don’t always charge anything extra.
- derby glasses – these wooden derbies look like sunglasses but fit over your regular glasses or contacts lenses so they sit closer to your face and keep bugs away from your eyes. They also protect your eyes from UV rays and sweat dripping into them because they seal off around the edges of your face. A lot of people think they look goofy wearing them—but if you take a moment to think about how cool Blinded By The Light by Manfred Mann was back in the day then maybe you won’t feel so bad about wearing them—plus no one will know who that guy with those crazy looking glasses is until he takes his sunglasses off underneath his wooden ones after winning all his bets because he could actually see things clearly for once!
What to wear to a casual Kentucky derby party
- Wearing a hat is a must. The Kentucky Derby is known for its elaborate hats and fascinators, so the first rule to dressing for any Derby party is donning something on your head.
- Dress with your audience in mind. Whether you’re planning to attend a ritzy party or one that’s more about having fun than following dress codes, it’s important to consider how formal everyone will be dressing when choosing an outfit.
- Wear something on the bottom to protect your legs from the sun. If you’re attending an outdoor party and want to wear a dress or skirt, make sure you have something appropriate to cover up with—whether that means wearing pants under your skirt or pairing your sundress with shorts.
- Don’t forget sunscreen and closed-toe shoes! With all this talk of dresses, we almost forgot: these are weddings we’re talking about here! You’ll need closed-toed shoes (or at least closed-toed sandals) if you plan on participating in some dancing, especially if there’s going to be an outdoor dance floor involved. And sunscreen is obviously crucial if you’ll be outside for long periods of time.
What kind of dress to wear to Kentucky derby
You should wear a dress. If you are attending a Kentucky Derby party, odds are that you will be wearing a dress since it is the most common attire worn to the event. While women have more variety in their choice of clothing, men may wear suits or outfits that reflect the race itself.
Please consider the weather when choosing your outfit. The Kentucky Derby takes place in early May at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky where high temperatures can range from 65F to 84F over three days. You must plan your outfit accordingly so that you are comfortable for the duration of your time at the event.
Wear a hat and/or fascinator. A woman’s hat is one of her crowning accessories, especially during the Kentucky Derby. Your outfit should include headwear that shows off your individuality while also blending with other elements of your ensemble (dress style, makeup, jewelry).
Wear comfortable shoes because there will likely be plenty of standing and walking around throughout the day’s festivities! Many women opt for wedges because they provide height without compromising comfort; however if you would like to don stilettos or ballet flats go ahead! It is best to avoid open-toed shoes because they will restrict which surfaces (e.g., grass) you can walk on safely and comfortably during an outdoor event like this one!
Consider how formal or informal you want to appear as well as what kind of personal style appeals most strongly to each individual guest before making any decisions about what clothes he/she wears at a derby party; then choose clothing items accordingly (e.g., if someone likes fashion then she might decide on something trendy instead).
With these tips in your back pocket, you are sure to make a positive impression as you arrive at the party.
With these tips in your back pocket, you are sure to make a positive impression as you arrive at the party.
While the outfits I suggest are great for a formal kentucky derby party, they do not have to be used in a strict sense. You can wear one piece or a combination of many. Also keep in mind that it is horse racing and a fashion show so if you feel you’re dressed too dressy then no one will say anything about it.
- Dress for the weather. It is important that you visit the forecast ahead of time and consider the temperature when deciding what to wear. This can help prevent any fashion emergencies or wardrobe malfunctions on arrival at the party.
- Make a statement with a hat. Whether it’s a wide-brimmed straw hat or a Kentucky Derby-style fascinator, this accessory will help bring your outfit together perfectly and give it that stylish finishing touch.
- Find the perfect summer dress. A light, floaty summer dress is always going to be an easy choice for any kind of summer occasion; just remember to check out some color and cut options so you don’t blend in too much with those around you!
- Opt for a floral print. This timeless classic is always going to look fantastic on anybody and will ensure that you are never underdressed or overdressed for an event such as this one!
The Kentucky Derby is one of the most exciting horse races to watch. Held annually at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky, this event attracts crowds from all over the world for a few fun days of racing and entertainment. The Kentucky Derby is held in May or early June. This is a festive time to enjoy the outdoors and spend some time with friends and family. Planning a Derby party can be a fun experience if you know how to do it correctly!