So, what do you wear to a black 90s party? If you’re asking yourself this question, then it’s likely that you’re in need of some outfit ideas!
If you have an Afropunk or black cosplay theme party coming up, then you’ll probably want to look for something that leans towards the more casual side. We recommend going with a fun graphic tee and some jeans or a pair of shorts. But if the event is more formal like say, a gala for Black History Month? Then it might be time to start thinking about bringing out your best dress pants and blouse/shirt combo. Also keep in mind what kind of shoes will work best with each outfit idea; while sneakers tend not to go well at too many events but they could still make sense if they match your fashion sense well enough!
Overall, you can’t go wrong with a pair of red overalls. They’re perfect for the 90s theme and are currently fashionable enough to wear outside of themed parties. However, keep in mind that denim overalls can feel like a costume if you don’t dress them up a bit.
For instance, try wearing them unbuttoned and belted over a simple T-shirt for an everyday look. Or dress them up with a sheer ruffled blouse in the summer or a chunky knit sweater in the winter.
Accessorize your overalls with layered necklaces or earrings—two pieces is usually plenty. If you’re wearing your overalls without anything underneath (besides underwear, naturally), try layering some jewelry on top of your shirt to make it more interesting. Large hoop earrings also make an excellent choice since they fit right into this style. A fedora is optional but always recommended!
This 90s black party attire is a bold choice. Just think of all the things you can wear underneath your overalls. It’s like having a massive closet at your fingertips!
And, of course, we have to discuss the hidden bonus that comes with wearing overalls: pockets. The utility of pockets cannot be overstated. You will never need to carry a purse again, and you won’t even notice when someone steals one of your belongings because there are so many places for them to hide stuff in your outfit!
Buildup has been high for this one, so let’s really look at what makes an amazing pair of blue overalls:
- An oversized cut that allows you some wiggle room wherever you see fit. You may want to consider wearing sweatpants underneath if it gets chilly out.
- A slight bit of discoloration across the front left pocket gives these pants character and a bit more depth than just “a pair of dark blue overalls”.
As you formulate your costume, consider the following:
- Wear green overalls. If you’re looking for a good color to wear to a 90s-themed party, then green is a good choice. It’s bold and vibrant and will stand out no matter what the occasion—but it can also be quiet and understated. Green has been associated with fertility and growth since ancient times, but in modern culture, it often represents environmentalism, which is super trendy right now!
- You should also wear overalls. Overalls are an excellent choice for a 90s-themed party because they were all the rage back then (or so my parents tell me). I think that wearing overalls to this type of event would really show your commitment to getting into character! They’re roomy yet form-fitting, perfect for dancing or playing some Super Mario Kart on a retro gaming console.
First things first, you need to understand that it’s perfectly acceptable for you to wear yellow overalls to a black 90s party. How could I be so sure? Because this is a 90s dress-up party. In other words, the dress code is completely your choice! So as long as you’re dressed in an outfit that is inspired by the 1990s, then you can come wearing anything and everything that makes you feel like a dapper city-slicker.
Second, whether it’s at this particular black 90s party or any other type of event, yellow overalls are always cool—and yes, I am including formal events and funerals in my sweeping statement.
It doesn’t matter if it’s November or July; if you want to look fresh off the farm but not too rural for your upcoming black 90s party, don’t hesitate for one moment: get yourself a pair of yellow overalls.
If you’re a woman with natural hair, there’s no better time than now to embrace your thick curls and show off your voluminous afro.
- First, make sure your hair is fully detangled before creating any style. You can use a wide tooth comb or your fingers to gently separate the strands.
- To create an afro, apply some curl defining cream from root to tip on damp or wet hair. Using a cotton t-shirt or microfiber towel (to avoid frizz), gently twist sections of the hair and allow it to air dry for big, beautiful results.
- You can wear bold earrings with an equally prominent choker necklace as accessories for this look. Give yourself some color with a coral lip (try Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick in Coral Craze) and flirty lashes. Line your eyes with black eyeliner and open them up by drawing white eyeliner right underneath the brows, extending beyond the corners of the eyes slightly.
Level up your look with an afro hairstyle guys.
- Male Afro- probably the most obvious 90s inspired look that got famous and known worldwide. If you want a quick look that definitely checks the box of requirement, then this is it.
- Fade (short on the sides)
- Not too high (not a small bun on top of your head)
- Teased (fluffy and slightly curly) — only if it’s natural! Don’t wear a wig, you’ll look ridiculous… unless you’re going for that effect, in which case go for it! 😛
A black dress is sure to turn heads at a 90s party. As one of the trendiest items in an individual’s wardrobe, it is a versatile piece that can be worn time and time again. When deciding on which black dress to wear, you have a lot of options: long or short, for women or men, and for babies even. From the moment of your arrival at the party to when you’re leaving later that night—scantily clad in tiny outfits dancing up on anyone who can keep their eyes open enough for you—you will garner attention and make friends with people who like your style. You will find yourself being complimented by people all night. Partners will want to dance with you whether they know how or not. And don’t forget about all those free drinks!
Now that I’ve convinced you on wearing a black dress to your Black 90s Party, let me show you some tips on how to really make it stand out.
What To Wear To A Black 90s Party
Wearing black is a timeless look that will never go out of style, but there are so many different ways to wear it. Whether you’re going for a minimalist vibe or looking to make an edgy statement, we’ve got you covered with these tips on how to wear black.
How to Dress for Black Parties
- A formal dress with heels goes perfectly with this outfit and makes a great addition if it’s more about the 90s than the black for your party attire. If you’re wearing something less formal like jeans or leggings, try pairing them up with some flats or boots — either way will work just fine! The only problem might come when trying not to blend in too much when everyone else around has their own version of the same outfit… But hey: at least they’ll know where they stand! Oh wait – I’m sorry that was totally insensitive because most people probably don’t have an eye-catching alternate version available either…” He trails off awkwardly
The beauty of the black 90s aesthetic is that it can be reinterpreted in any number of ways. This guide has focused on a few styles that are guaranteed to get you noticed, but don’t let yourself feel limited by these suggestions! If you have a sentimental attachment to something from your childhood and think it would look cool at the party, wear it! If you have specific pieces in mind but aren’t sure how to go about putting together an outfit, consider asking someone who’s familiar with the style. Although they may not have directly experienced this period of history firsthand, they’ll still likely be able to help point you in the right direction.
When it comes down to it, there isn’t really a wrong way to dress for this type of event—just remember that dressing uniquely is key. In such an environment, creativity and self-expression are highly valued over following trends or matching with others. Additionally, remember what being black means: above all else, having fun!