There are few principles of fashion that are as steadfast as “wear black jeans with everything.” The pieces you can pair with this versatile staple are endless. Want to dress them up? Throw on a pair of heels and a chic blazer.
Want to dress them down? Wear your favorite sneakers and a sweatshirt. Black jeans can function just as well in the office or around the city as they do for date night, so don’t hesitate to make them your go-to choice for any occasion.
Black jeans and brown shoes, or black jeans and white shoes are all fair game. Black jeans and grey shoes, too! As long as the rest of your outfit is neutral in color, you can wear black jeans with any type of shoe: leather or suede; red, blue, or pink.
The versatility of black jeans is what makes them a great staple. Their neutrality makes them easy to pair with the majority of tops in your wardrobe and allows you to create a wide range of looks. For example, if you have a t-shirt that feels too casual to wear on its own, you can glam it up by wearing it with black jeans and heels. The same goes for dressier items like blouses or tunics. Paired with black jeans, these pieces are given more edge, creating an effortlessly stylish ensemble that’s appropriate for everything from job interviews to brunch dates. But just because black jeans go well with most tops doesn’t mean that any top will work.
Layering is also an excellent way to wear black jeans when trying to add dimension and interest to your outfit. And the good news? Putting together a layered look is very easy: all you need are three things—a t-shirt, an open button down shirt or sweater, and some black jeans! For example, if you’re going for a more casual outfit but don’t want your t-shirt to look too plain (or if you simply love layering), opt for one that has some sort of detail or design around the collar area—like ruffles or lace trimming—and layer it over a shirt (buttoned up) in white or light blue. These colors contrast nicely against the dark denim wash of the jeans while still keeping the overall look fairly monochromatic and flattering in terms of color pairing.
Regardless of what you are doing, the jacket you choose to wear over — or instead of — your black pants will make all the difference. For example, brands like Balenciaga, Versace and Alexander McQueen (to name a few) have made leather jackets with designs so unique they can be worn on their own.
- Leather jackets are a great way to dress up a simple pair of black jeans. Pick one that’s more classic in style and it can be worn year-round.
- A denim jacket is another outerwear staple that works with almost any type of clothing, including black jeans. Wear it for date night or for a casual day out shopping with friends or running errands. You can even use it as an alternative to a blazer at some workplaces!
Men’s & Women’s Hats
Hats are an accessory that can add a lot of character to your outfit. However, they have the potential to look cheesy if you’re not careful. The best way to do it is to keep it simple and avoid wearing a hat just for the sake of wearing one. Wearing a hat should be intentional, and paired with the right clothes, it can make your entire outfit look like something you might see in a magazine. Some hats for men could include:
- A fitted baseball cap with a small brim: worn tilted slightly forward and placed casually on top of your head (try not to pull it down too far over your eyes)
- A fedora: also worn slightly forward on top of the head (don’t push it too far back)
- Any type of beanie or knit cap: these should be pulled down so that they cover most or all of the forehead
Some hats for women could include:
- A wide-brimmed floppy hat reminiscent of those worn by Jane Austen characters or Southern belles (depending on what style you prefer): wear this straight on top of your head or tilted slightly forward if you want a more relaxed vibe
Black jeans are an essential part of your capsule wardrobe, and for good reason. They’re versatile enough to wear in a number of summer outfits, whether you’re looking for an office-friendly look or something more dressed up.
They’re also perfect for dressing up and down with skirts. For example:
- A crisp white shirt and tailored black blazer go with any type of corporate skirt, including pencil skirts, flared midi-length skirts, wrap skirts and pleated maxis. Keep makeup minimal and accessories sleek.
- A fitted tee in a neutral shade such as white, black or grey can be accessorized with colourful statement pieces like a printed scarf or purse to achieve an effortless day look that’s ideal for school or running errands around town.
- A leather jacket will give the classic black jeans + tee combo some attitude that makes it perfect for going out on the weekend or attending a concert. Add stiletto heels to elongate your legs and turn heads!
- All you need is a silk tank top tucked into black skinny jeans plus simple gold jewellery to create an elegant evening look that works at cocktail parties and formal events alike (such as weddings).
What to wear with black jeans
The best way to dress up your outfit is to consider the accessories. A well-made handbag or a pair of stylish shoes can elevate your outfit without much additional money, and keep it looking fresh longer. When shopping for accessories, make sure you consider the proportion of what you are wearing as well as the color. A thick pair of tights with a loose blouse and high boots may seem like a good idea, but that ill-fitted look will get old fast.
Black jeans are a staple in every modern wardrobe, but pairing them with accessories that complement the color palette is essential. Choose brightly colored tops or earth tones for an effortless look. For example, if you pair black jeans with a red blouse then go for gold jewelry and brown boots to complete the ensemble. If you’re not looking for something so bold then try earth tones like green cardigans or plaid scarves instead of bold hues like reds or yellows
While black jeans can be a little bit limiting, with the right planning and a little bit of creativity, you should be able to make your jeans work for you. One way to do this is to take advantage of the fact that your ensemble has a consistent color scheme. You might not think that it’s possible to mix black jeans with black shoes or brown shoes. You might think that mixing two different shades of denim is impossible, or maybe combining leather and denim could seem like an unsightly mistake. But sometimes people just need someone to tell them that breaking the rules can make their outfits look better! Black jeans can be combined with any other item in your closet if you do it right—if you add enough complexity so that its silhouette still looks interesting and well-thought-out. It would have been easy for us to panic when we put together our first outfit with black jeans: “How am I supposed to wear this color? What if I pick the wrong outfit? What if I mess up?” But by taking a chance on something unconventional, we were able to leave our comfort zone without feeling like we had committed fashion fail!