Overwhelmed to get a better organized mindset? This will help.
Grab my #1 Tool to Organize your finances, habits, and more to Elevate your self-care.
Wear your flannel as an overshirt.
Everyone has a favorite pair of jeans and a favorite t-shirt. Wear them together, then layer on your flannel overshirt to instantly dress up the ensemble. Bonus points for using an overshirt in a color that contrasts with the base of your outfit! If you like what you’re wearing but think it could use a little more oomph, this trick is a simple, instant upgrade. This is also how to wear flannel in warm weather: as an outer layer, it’s the perfect light jacket. And the colors and patterns in many shirts can add some much-needed interest to those everyday basics (think white tee + blue jeans). We’re not saying this’ll solve all your problems, but it helps!
Go with a cuff or a sleeve roll.
Tucking a flannel shirt into your jeans is the classic, most traditional way to wear one. The cuff or sleeve roll? That’s more of a personal preference kind of choice. The cuff is the traditional fold-up-the-sleeve style that you’ll see on all kinds of shirts, and it typically stops above the wrist. A sleeve roll, on the other hand, is like a cuff that has been rolled up again for an even more casual look (and sometimes for practical reasons). Like we said before—whichever you choose is up to you!
Tuck or leave untucked?
I think the best thing about a flannel shirt is that it goes with everything. Once you know how to style it, you’ll find yourself reaching for a flannel shirt every time you need an outfit that is casual but put together. It’s hard to go wrong when styling the flannel shirt.
But there are a couple of things to keep in mind if you want your outfit to look its best:
- First, make sure you tuck in your shirt if it is tucked in—this will give your outfit structure and make it look more polished. If your top layer is not tucked in (for example, if you’re wearing jeans with no belt) then leave your bottom layer untucked as well. A good rule of thumb is that the hemline of any layers above the waist should fall below where they would naturally hang if they were not being held up by anything else—otherwise they’ll bunch up and look messy!
- Second, consider what kind of pants or skirt you are wearing: do they fit tightly against your legs? Are they loose fitting? The answer will determine whether or not you should tuck your flannel into them or leave it untucked for a more casual look.
Let your flannel do the talking.
To dress up a flannel shirt, choose one that features an all-over print. Pair it with black skinnies and high heels for a fun yet professional look you can take from the office to happy hour. You can also try cute ankle boots or knee-high boots to stay warm and add a touch of sass to your getup, especially if you’re going for a more casual weekend look. If you really want to stand out, throw on some suede over-the-knee boots and let the flannel shirt do the talking!
But don’t forget: When wearing a flirty dress or skirt with your flannel shirt, stick with flats so as not to overcomplicate your outfit. Also, remember that in most cases, less is more when it comes to accessorizing this timeless piece of clothing.
Don’t be shy about layering other shirts with your flannel.
When worn correctly, flannel is great for layering! If you’re a little hesitant to take your flannel out into the world by itself, try wearing it under a jacket. You can wear a flannel shirt with almost any jacket in your wardrobe—and we mean that literally. A denim jacket, leather jacket and moto jacket are all good choices to top off your flannel shirt. Wearing a flannel under a sweater or hoodie isn’t one of those fashion combinations you see everyday but that’s what makes it so cool. Your friends will be wishing they thought of it first!
What to wear with a flannel girl
- A flannel shirt is a great casual look for girls and women of all ages.
- It looks good with jeans, leggings, or skirts of all colors and styles.
- The flannel shirt can be paired with casual shoes like sneakers or boots, as well as with less casual shoes like wedges or heels.
- Flannel shirts are great for hanging out with friends, going to the mall, or going on a date.
What to wear with a flannel hoodie
- Flannel hoodies will add a casual feel to your outfit, whether it’s jeans or leggings.
- To dress up your flannel hoodie, you can throw it on over a pair of skinny jeans and boots. Simple accessories like rings and hair clips will add interest.
- If you want more coverage, you can wear your flannel hoodie with yoga pants or cargo pants. This is especially useful when going to the gym or running errands around town.
- You can also wear a flannel hoodie with shorts in the summertime for an easygoing look that’s perfect for hanging out with friends at the park or beach.
What to wear with a flannel dress
- Flannel dresses are a great option for mild fall days. When you wear a flannel dress, create interest by layering different textures and lengths. For instance, pair your dress with over-the-knee boots, or tights and ankle boots to add warmth without taking away from the silhouette of the dress.
- To complete your look, add a long necklace that hits below your chest. The length of this necklace extends the eye line down toward your waistline and adds visual interest with its draping effect.
- You could also style this look with a denim jacket for an effortless, relaxed vibe.
What to wear with a flannel around your waist
It’s not enough to just throw on a flannel shirt, you need to style it. While wearing your flannel like this may seem unoriginal and run-of-the-mill, it has its place in the fashion world. It’s both comfortable and practical—and paired with rolled up jeans, is one of the easiest ways to sport the trend for spring.
If you want to step outside the norm a little bit, try tucking in your shirt. Slipping on a belt over your flannel will help give it structure so it doesn’t look bunchy when tucked into your pants or skirt. You can even wear a longer length flannel shirt as an outer layer over a midi skirt or wide leg trousers! The possibilities are endless with this versatile wardrobe staple.
[Image: model wearing jeans tucked into boots, black tank top tucked into flannel that is belted around her waist]
Flannel is a great choice to wear when you want to be warm, comfy and stylish.
Of course, flannel shirts are also a super convenient choice in the colder months or when you’re engaging in physical activities that might make you warm up. They are easy to layer, so if it gets hot outside during the day or you find your job is making you work up a sweat and want to shed some clothes, all you need to do is take off the shirt. Your flannel shirt can also be paired with other types of shirts, such as a T-shirt underneath it or even over top of it.
The great thing about flannel shirts is that they’re made from cotton, which makes them durable and comfortable as well as breathable. Most men’s flannel shirts are made from cotton, although there are some made from synthetic materials too. You can find them in a variety of colors and patterns so that whatever your personal style is, there will be something out there for you!