This post is all about the recipe, tips and guide for Ginisang Monggo With Chicken Calories or Chicken Lentil Stew Soup with very helpful video step by step cooking process to teach you to recreate this very healthy and delicious dish.
Time for you to indulge with stew home made goodness that will clearly fill your appetite’s delight and it is healthy!
Expect a delicious and feel good Chicken Lentil Stew Recipe.
Setting aside a time for you to work on this soup is simply easy as cooking on an Instant pot or any one pot cook all in one that you have.
Cook more lovely dishes with your family, grab our freebies to save you and be more organize with family meals with some of our grocery list printable. You can access this with a password to our library absolutely FREE! I personally use this. Make sure to check often as I add cool stuff from time to time.
I understand that you are wanting to achieve this recipe naturally without mixed preservatives and just natural organic ingredients but will still taste amazing.
Ginisang munggo or monggo as we say here being a true born Filipino in the Philippines, rest assured you are having a real authentic recipe for you. Famous bean soup that you can trust and rely on.
Mung beans, garlic, sometimes fresh tomatoes and onions are being used and various of other ingredients such as vegetables, and amplify the taste with patis or fish sauce.
Usually monggo is being cooked with pork especially the liempo cut, another famous dish to pair with monggo are tinapa or smoked fish, daing or dried fish, shrimp fresh or dried and meats.
Extra special would be adding chicharon which is simply deep fried strip pork rinds.
Follow along the recipe and my YouTube video to help you and yes, me being the best guide source for you when cooking an authentic Filipino fish made by a Philippines person
How do you cook ginisang monggo with chicken, read along to know, sometimes this dish can be paired with ampalaya or bitter gourd. Other ingredient is called dilis which is a small deep fried fish to add as crunch to the dish. Chicharon is always a popular choice when putting some toppings because it melts with the stew leaving it being more flavorful.
How to cook monggo? For my vegan or vegetarian friends you can go ahead and omit and make it no meat dish, you can also make this to reduce the calories.
Please watch my other cooking videos:
- Green Tea Matcha Ice Cream Cake https://youtu.be/MlaMBRnUWO8
- How To Deep Fry Crunchy CatFish For Family Meals Dinner “Hito Fish” (Helpful Guide) https://youtu.be/DFIW5ElmRPM
- Ginataang Fish or Coconut Milk Fish Stew https://youtu.be/FYLUTd6xC_0
- Ensaladang Eggplant and Tomato Salad https://youtu.be/XW_ZscI1vfQ
Sautéed mung bean although the cooking word we used is different it turns into a stew boiled like a soup. The recipe with spices and the secondary ingredients are being sautéed when boiled mung beans are done and set aside for a while.
Ingredients needed for the chicken lentil soup dish
- 0.25 kg Mung Beans or lentils beans or mung beans, we need it to be boiled and soft, but not too much as it will become a paste.
- 4 cloves of minced garlic, garlic sautéing translucent and not dark brown.
- 1 medium minced onion, red onions were used but you can definitely use white onions it will not affect the taste
- 1 medium minced peeled ginger, please use not much if you do not like ginger, I used a lot of ginger as my family believes that ginger can have many healthy benefits
- 2 medium eggplant slices, in order to make the dish more full or chunky in flavor, i added eggplant and added them to the dish with slicing them halfway through cooking as the insides of the eggplant’s color get affected by oxygen or from the air. You can soak them in water for the time being if you want to prepare them ahead of time. If you are wanting to make this a vegan or vegetarian dish make sure to use this as a replacement for meats, much more healthy and delicious.
- 0.5 kg chicken breast chopped, here is the meat or poultry part, as always feel free to omit if needed. chicken breast without the skin completely is lesser fat, as the fat is especially located in the chicken skin.
- 2 cup malunggay leaves, moringa leaves gives very nice vitamins and minerals having that deep green color the green leafy vegetable dish. It definitely adds more color that will make the dish more enticing and wonderful to look at.
- 2 cup water this one is depending on your taste, the more water you add is much more will become into a soup (large water amount), but with a medium amount of water it will only become a stew which is perfect to serve as you will taste more of the rich flavor too.
Equipments that you need for cooking your Chicken Lentil Stew
- Chopping board
- Kitchen knife
- Kitchen towel, clean as you go! (CLAYGO)
- deep plates
- deep spatula for soups
Ginisang Monggo vs Ginataang Monggo
Ginataang Monggo, Do not get confuse with which is a dessert made from glutinous rice and mung beans versus the ginisang monggo. Mung beans are great as they can be sweet and savory like an alter ego.
Meat and Ingredients for Lentil Chicken Stew Soup Recipe explained
Monggo is the main ingredient for this dish as it gives that beans crusted taste and enriching the soup and making it more flavorful.
Monggo or lentils changed in color with the cooking process of boiling. It will turn slightly into brown and become mushy or soft, make sure to take note of that factor. Bubbling boiling goodness session indeed! Sauna for Lentil Beans I would think!
Gather now all the ingredients as I stated on the recipe card that is ready for you to print too! Got it already? It’s time to cook!
Preparing now your sautéing ingredients garlic, onion, salt and pepper to taste and add generous bits slices of ginger that you have peeled too. Add more texture and heartier stew with eggplants! Our Major Star!
I chose to slice eggplants like this on the spot to share with you that even without meat you can taste and the size that is similar.
Eggplants are good meat substitute
Chunky eggplants? Yes please do try! In order to do this follow my YouTube video on my channel, cut first in half twice the slice it in a slant way with your knife.
I cut it later on the video cooking process as eggplants tends to like oxidize after being expose to air we want to save the fresh color as much as possible.
How To Cook Ginisang Monggo With Chicken Calories?
Time for the chicken in order to calculate the calories and if you are achieving a more healthy alternative I chose to have chicken breast and left with small portions of chicken skins for flavor.
Chicken skin is the fat and gives more flavor and having too much is what we want to avoid.
More Healthy additions with Malunggay Leaves
Malunggay leaves are very healthy and also it is called Moringa leaves, it is said to be that the more darker the green colors for your vegetables it is more healthy for you as the vitamins and minerals are much more intense.
Have your pan or pot with oil and heat it up and go ahead adding the ginger to make it look translucent and add the garlic with onion sauté for few minutes, then add your chicken as it takes a little bit of time till it cooks.
Add your fabulous lentils and add couple of water to have more soup then add the eggplants next to boil it is a vegetable so it will cook fast than meats, add it between than the leaves as those cook the quickest. Make sure the eggplant is soft and chewy.
Flavor your soup and taste along the way to measure the taste that agrees to your liking. Finally we add now the malunggay leaves and done!
- 0.25 kg Mung Beans
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 medium minced onion
- 1 medium minced peeled ginger
- 2 medium eggplant slices
- 0.5 kg chicken breast chopped
- 2 cup malunggay leaves
- 2 cup water
- Boil your monggo beans until it is cooked and soft.
- In a pan sautee ginger, garlic, onions till translucent, then add chicken
- Add your monggo beans that are cooked then add water bring it to a boil.
- Add your eggplant till soft and tender, salt and pepper to taste
- Add your malunggay leaves and ready to serve.
You can add more vegetables if you like, You can pair this with boiled potatoes or white rice. Add chicharon on top if you like.
Amount Per Serving Calories 259Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 71mgSodium 72mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 9gSugar 8gProtein 31g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
What is ginisang munggo?
It is proudly one of the cuisine in the Philippines, provinces like in Mindanao and Visayas are having it as a staple dish. In the capital city of Philippines, which is Manila is also famous for this dish staple too in our homes.
Ginisang munggo is a hot main dish and being cooked and served on a plate or bowl with family meals everyday.
Friday is Munggo day
It is very cheap and affordable dish to buy ingredients for and it is a light dish perfect also for healthy conscious people.
Frequently Asked Questions
Munggo is being celebrated every Friday of the week. It is customary that if you do not know what dish to cook for Friday people bounce back and cook any monggo dish like pork, chicken, beef, or seafood with lentils soup.
What to pair with Chicken Lentil Stew?
You can pair with chicharon crispy on top is very nice as it will have another dimension of flavor that you can recognize. Fried pork or chicken can best paired with the dish.
Grains or Starch add some boiled potatoes, sweet potatoes on the side and white rice or shrimp fried rice. It will feel heaven!
Enjoy the side dishes as you would like a topping while you eat it good veggies and hot stew come together. In my own experience having chicharon is the best that I tried to pair with my Monggo Chicken Stew.
The difference of the dish is that my family loves consuming ginger and I added a bit more, if you do not want to have a lot of ginger in the dish you might as well reduce the amount in half as it helps with the soup flavors the water.
More Yummy Recipes apart from crispy catfish fillets:
How to store? Leftovers? In Conclusion Chicken Lentil Stew
Leftovers should not be present anymore as it is a very tasty dish, when you cooked it in the morning they are best to eat tomorrow morning storing them in air tight containers, they will get spoiled easily so make sure you can eat it or reheat in the microwave as soon as possible. Storing in fridge is good!